This DAP highlights – Congratulations to 2023 SC Media Women in IT Security honorees, including Gate 15’s Jennifer Lyn Walker. Every DAP also has More Faith-Based Stories and Select All-Hazard Stories. These updates are shared to help raise the situational awareness of Faith-Based organizations to best defend against and mitigate the impacts from all-hazards threats including physical security, cybersecurity, and natural disasters.
Faith-Based Security Headlines
These updates are shared to help raise the situational awareness of Faith-Based organizations to best defend against, and mitigate the impacts from all-hazards threats including physical security, cybersecurity, and natural disasters.
Increase in Bomb Threat and Swatting Incident Reports Coincides with Jewish High Holy Days
The Safety/Security Manager at Congregation Berith Sholom in Troy, NY is a member of FB-ISAO and made us aware of the incident as soon as it occurred.
Other reports are:
- NYC: Bomb threat at Jewish synagogue sees police swarm area and lock it down
- NY: MCSO investigate after church in Perinton receives bomb threat
- Nothing located at reported bomb threat at Congregation Beth Shalom
- NJ: Swatting Incident During Rosh Hashana Service at B’nai Jeshurun
- NY: Geneva Police investigate bomb threat at Jewish temple
- Incident at the Pasadena Jewish Temple & Center Highlights Security Concerns as Jewish New Year Services Begin Friday
- PA: Bomb threats disrupt local schools and hospital: Police reveal swatting hoax
The Faith-Based ISAO’s Daily Awareness Post (DAP) has been reporting on bomb threat and swatting incidents. Sadly, these incidents are continuing.
The following resources are presented again for those who missed them in earlier DAPs.
An article in The Forward provided steps from security professionals on:
- Before a potential swatting or bomb threat incident occurs,
- What to do during a swatting incident,
- What to do after receiving a bomb threat,
- And how to keep your synagogue livestream safe.
For bomb threats in particular, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has made numerous resources available, including through the Bombing Prevention webpage at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA). The resources include a Bomb Threat Checklist and videos on how to respond to bomb threats and suspicious or unattended items.
More Faith-Based Stories
Select All-Hazards Stories
U.S. surpasses 500 mass shootings in 2023. Just 5 years ago, the country had never experienced 500 mass shootings in one year.
First Responders Toolbox: Considerations for Responding to an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Attack
Heavy Rain for New England; Critical Fire Weather for Sections of the Northwest National Weather Service
More Security-focused Content
The FB-ISAO’s sponsor Gate 15 publishes a free daily newsletter called the SUN. Curated from their open source intelligence collection process, the SUN informs leaders and analysts with the critical news of the day and provides a holistic look at the current global, all-hazards threat environment. Ahead of the daily news cycle, the SUN allows current situational awareness into the topics that will impact your organization. To sign-up for The SUN, please sign up below.